Tuesday, April 23, 2019 | Cloudy skies with moderate to occasionally heavy rains which may trigger flashfloods & landslides will be experienced over Ilocos region and the provinces of Batanes, Benguet, Zambales, Bataan & the islands of Babuyan.| PHL down 1 spot in 2019 World Press Freedom Index | Easter blasts at Sri Lanka | Capesize Ships in Pain as Chinese Iron Ore Imports Drop | ‘Miss Saigon’ actor Gerald Santos balik-Pilipinas na | Warriors score big win again | 1 USD = 52.04 PhP as of closing Apr 22, 2019|
SITE SEARCH
TOP STORIES >> Philippine News
Duterte mulls new panel to talk peace with Reds
Photo Gallery
balitang-marino-duterte-mulls-new-panel-to-talk-peace-with-reds.jpg
Duterte mulls new panel to talk peace with Reds

DAVAO CITY, Philippines, April 15 ------ After announcing the “permanent” termination of peace talks last month, President Duterte is now considering forming a new panel to negotiate peace with the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP). This time, the President said he wants the peace panel to be composed of at least two civilians and three military officials. At the campaign rally of the ruling Partido ng Demokratikong Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan in Malaybalay City, Bukidnon the other day, Duterte said he was exasperated with the slow pace of the peace negotiations in the past. He said he now wants a new approach to the peace talks with the CPP-New People’s Army (NPA)-National Democratic Front (NDF).

It took the previous peace panel too long – at least three years – to come up with results in negotiating peace with the CPP-NPA-NDF, according to the Chief Executive. Last month, Duterte said he would no longer entertain any interventions or moves to persuade him to change his mind regarding the termination of peace talks with the communist rebels. “You can, maybe, talk to the next president of this republic, one day,” he said.

The announcement on the end of the peace talks came a day after Malacañang terminated the services of its peace panel members, including chief government negotiator and Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III, last March 20. Duterte also lambasted the communist rebels for the continued attacks against government forces and even civilians even if the peace process was ongoing then.

Source: philstar.com